Serving Size: 3-4 people
Prep/Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds kale, stemmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 ounces mushrooms (such as crimini, oyster, and stemmed shiitake), sliced
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups polenta
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil,
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- ** If you want to make this dish even quicker, you can use Trader Joe's ready-made polenta and then just cook it down with the coconut oil
- Bring water, polenta, salt, and pepper to boil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet saute garlic & onions. Add zucchini, mushrooms, basil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute until veggies are tender, about 6 minutes.
- Just as you turn off the stove, stir in kale. I like to add the kale at the end so its not too wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk coconut oil and Parmesan cheese into polenta and divide among plates. Top with kale mixture.
- If you want the polenta creamier, option to add milk and butter.