Super quick, fresh, and packed with protein, this quinoa salad makes for the perfect lunch when I am constantly on the go and rushing from meeting to meeting. The quinoa and beans give me a lot of sustenance and energy throughout the day.
Enjoy... in just 20 minutes!
- 2 teaspoons grated orange/tangerine zest
- 1/4 cup of fresh orange/tangerine juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 (14- to 15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups raw corn kernels, cut from 2-3 ears of corn
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix together orange zest, orange juice and lime juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Wash quinoa in 3 changes of cold water in a bowl, draining in a sieve each time.
- Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling salted water (1 tablespoon salt for 2 quarts water), uncovered, until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Cover quinoa with a folded kitchen towel or paper towel, then cover sieve with a lid (don't worry if lid doesn't fit tightly) and steam over medium heat until tender, fluffy, and dry, about 10 minutes. Remove pot from heat and remove lid. Let stand, still covered with towel, 5 minutes.
- Prep the vegetables: Cut the cherry tomatoes into thirds. Remove corn kernels off the cob. Drain the black beans and rinse thoroughly. Toss ingredients all together in the bowl with the dressing.
- Add quinoa to bowl and toss until dressing is absorbed, and veggies are incorporated. Stir in chopped cilantro and scallions. Add salt and pepper to taste.